Spain - Day 7 - Partying in Pamplona

After a few additional hours of sleep after our restful train ride, we were ready to hit the streets of Pamplona. This is the main plaza of Pamplona. It's beautiful, and the first floors of the surrounding buildings are almost all restaurants with outdoor patio seating.

At that point in the trip, the wedding which brought us to Spain was just a day away. Ingrid had been complaining about getting her nails done for the previous two days, and that morning she left me and wandered the corridors of Pamplona in search of a nail salon.

Left alone, there was only one thing to do. Grab a table at one of the numerous restaurants surrounding the plaza and use my elementary understanding of Spanish to order some food and a bottle of wine. I kindly asked the waiter for, "Una botella de vino tinto, por favor (A bottle of red wine, please)." The waiter looked at me surprised and responded, "Una copa de vino tinto (A cup of red wine)?" Negative, buddy... I said "una botella" as I used my hands to show him that I wanted a tall bottle and not a short cup. He then uttered something about ordering food from the menu and I happily obliged by ordering a ham and egg sandwich, which was scrumptious, and complete with a circular hole cut in the top piece of bread exposing the over-easy yolk of the egg below, with the circular piece of cut-out bread off to the side... very clever. People watching is fun. Especially con una botella de vino tinto.

Hours later, Ingrid returned with her nails done and a raging appetite. Our guidebook suggested Otano Bar, which is where we headed for more food (the sign is up there on the left, behind the flag).

There, we enjoyed one of the best meals of our trip. It was simply devine, and I recommend all of you to eat there if you're ever in the neighborhood.

As I mentioned, we were in town for a wedding. Remember Ingrid's friend Manuel (who has made an appearance on this blog a couple times before)? Well he was getting married to his love, Racquel. And many of their friends and family from all parts of the world were there to witness and celebrate the union.

Ingrid got the chance to catch up with Manuel's sister, Ana, who she's known for some time.

As if we hadn't eaten enough at that point, there was an endless supply of tapas for the taking, together with drinks galore. I ate as much as I could, and drank more than I could, as I got acquainted with the other guests in attendance, many of which, thankfully, spoke English.

After some drinks and tasty snacks we did what the locals do, and headed out for more drinks and tasty snacks. It's amazing that I didn't gain ten pounds that day alone. Across the plaza and down the street was one of Manuel and Racquel's favorite bars.

On the way there, Manuel gave everyone a brief history lesson and tour of the streets of Pamplona. Just look how cool the place looks. Ingrid and I were having a great time.

We stormed Bar Burgales in full force and basically took over the bar.

This place was great. It had several types of tapas behind glass and people could just point and pay.

As you can see by Ingrid's face, the tapas were delicious. Already stuffed before we even stepped in the bar, we ate the American way and tossed back several more tapas and drinks as we made new friends.

It seemed everyone had the same agenda.

A few hours later, it came time for Manuel and Racquel to reluctantly leave the group to get some rest before their big day.

But that didn't stop the true soldiers from shuffling along to the next bar to continue the fun and festivities.

We made our way to this local bar and got to know one another even better over drinks. People had come from all over the world to attend the wedding, including Ingrid and me.

Of course, there's nothing like some tequila shots to bring people together. Even Ingrid was game. The guy on the right there is Manuel's good friend, Fabio, who I later learned is a very successful entrepreneur. He was a hilarious guy and a drinker like me, so needless to say, we got along swimmingly.

Manuel and Racquel's friends were so friendly and great to party with.

... And Ingrid and I were clearly having a great time.

As I mentioned, Fabio's a drinker and was insistent upon the ordering more shots... which was fine with me. Bring 'em on!!

Cheers! To Manuel y Racquel!!!!

Cheers! To Fabio y Kevin!!!!

Ah yes... we were all having a wonderful time.

That night was filled with drinking, drinking and more drinking, which was probably not the smartest thing to do, given that we had a wedding to attend first thing in the morning.

But we all lived in the moment and continued the celebration.

... and Fabio continued to encourage everyone to drink.

... and then encouraged some to dance.

By this time, I was thoroughly inebriated, to say the least. And with only a few hours to rest until the wedding, we decided to call it a night. And it's a good thing we did, because the next day would be another big day for us. For those with attention to detail, please forgive my slight underarm perspiration, as it was extremely hot in that place.


3 Comments:
Ahhh ¡España, un qué país hermoso! Dana y yo amamos el viajar allí mucho. Usted dos se parecían como usted tenía un rato asombroso también. ¡Buen trabajo Kevin!
Your Spanish is very impressive, Jake. I'm sure the Spanish Grammar Police (Ingrid) will be double checking your grammar. I am so behind in this thing, it's discouraging. My first post after Europe will be your departure (and the ensuing fight at 4100) and you're already back!!! Geez...
I can't wait for the post on the throwdown at 4100 -- bring it Tanji!!! I loved this post -- you two had an amazing day!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home