Hookey Golf

One weekday afternoon, Jake and I both snuck out of work for a quick nine holes at De Bell in Burbank. After my horrendous performance at our last outing at The Lost Canyons, it was time to show Jake my true golfing prowess. Skins was the game. Ding ding! Let the battle begin.

We both stunk on the first hole, with Jake implementing the snowman rule. I actually got a true 8 strokes to win the skin for the first hole. From then on, there was no looking back, with a birdie for me on the second and a bogey on the third. Three skins for me, none for you, Jake!

This may not be the best form, but with the exception of the first hole, I was striking the ball quite nicely that afternoon.

Jake's performance at this point was almost as ugly as his green shirt... almost. Understandably, he wasn't feeling too great about it (his performance) and was running low on balls by the third hole. But that was all about to change....

Jake's stirred up the beast within and beginning with the fifth hole, found his groove.

Jake doesn't have the greatest form either, but it was enough to get the job done. We pushed on holes five through seven, and Jake beat me on the eighth hole, earning him four skins. With four skins of my own, it all came down to the final hole for the final skin. Tensions were high and the pressure was on, but I managed to nearly get on the green in two with Jake hot on my tail, nailing some good shots of his own.

But in the end, it was me who emerged victorious... by the slimmest of margins.

That's right, Jake. I'm the winner. Good game.


2 Comments:
ok maki-counter, birdie my ass. i bet if i took you on (and you have been playing way more than me, i've had 2 beergolf rounds all year in 2006), i'd still take each and every skin from you.
The reason I suck so bad is my girlfriend refuses to give me lessons.
I don't remember the game even being that close. I thought you CRUSHED me. Nice work. Hopefully you're even better now.
The best hole there is definitely the one where you have to ring the bell to let the others know you're off the green since you can't see it from the tee.
Post a Comment
<< Home