Friday, March 10, 2006

On the Links

Time to golf!

After just playing a round of golf the weekend before, I headed out with Jake, Dana and Fones to the links once again (Ingrid was occupied with preparations for Annie and Jason's wedding). Given all of our busy schedules, we agreed to share the workload in planning for the outing and each took responsibility for a particular task, as follows:

Dana's Task: Secure a tee time.
Jake's Task: Transport us to the course.
Fones' Task: Get an eagle.
My Task: Supply the alcohol.

Through her job, Dana's got the connections when it comes to securing tee times or tickets to sporting events, and true to form, she got us a slot on the Shadow Course at The Lost Canyons golf course on very short notice. Dana's hook-up also got us our round at PGA rates. Way to do your part, Dana!

Panoply of Beers

My job was to bring the brews. And rather than go with the standard two twelve-packs of Heinekens (not that there's anything wrong with that), I went above and beyond what was expected and headed over to BevMo! to grab a selection of 22-ish oz. bottles of brews, including Dirty Dick's, Poorman's, Yeti and Fat Tire to name a few.

Sunrise

Jake's simple task was to drive everyone to the course. The evening before, Jake told me he'd be at my house at 7:00 sharp and that I better be ready to go when he got there. Well I was ready, but he wasn't. Just before 7:00 I gave him a buzz, and there was Jake on the other end pretending to sound like the phone didn't just wake him up, but he was fooling no one. Good job, Jake.

Fones

Despite Jake's failure to do his part, we arrived just in time to tee off, but with absolutely zero time to warm up.

Pro Golfers

But the lack of warm-up didn't stop us from posing like professional golfers and starting off the first couple of holes fairly decently.

Get there!

At some point, Jake sent his ball O.B. and went hiking in some super rough in an effort to try and knock his ball back on the course... an effort which was quickly abandoned after a few unsuccessful attempts.

Manicured

As you can see, the course was amazing. But as with women, don't let its beauty fool you. The course was extremely difficult. So difficult, in fact, that we were forced to implement the Snowman Rule (mostly for my benefit after the heavy drinking), which means that we couldn't score over 8 strokes per hole no matter how many strokes we actually took. Man, I love that rule...

Sweeet!

But I don't love this shirt Jake picked up from Ross the day before (seriously).

Where's the pin?

Here's me doing my best to look like a professional golfer.

Nice form

Here's Dana actually looking like a professional golfer. Dana and I may have dressed in similar attire, but when it comes to golf, we're nothing alike... the difference being that she's actually quite good.

Iron Fones

Speaking of good golfers, Fones was pretty impressive that day as well. He was hitting the ball clean and nailing some solid putts. Although I've had very few of them, I love those days on the course where everything just comes together.

Amazing shot

It was about this time where Jake began turning up his game. He landed this extremely difficult shot right on the green...

Reflief

And then thanked the rough by watering it.

Hey!

Despite being the worst golfer that day, I had one saving grace. On this hole, something amazing happened. Just to the left of where this picture was taken sat my ball... in the rough and on an incline up to the green, several yards away. I was sitting 7, at risk of implementing the Snowman Rule yet again. But this time I lined up my shot and struck the ball perfectly, leaving it with just enough force to land on the green and roll for several feet right into the hole. It was Tiger Woods worthy...

Another

Another Tiger Woods worthy shot occurred here on 18 where Fones smashed this approach shot which left him right on the green, a few feet from the hole, putting for eagle.

9

Even with the pressure on, Fones sunk the putt and got his first eagle. Nice eagle, Fones.

Waiting for Burger

After our round of golf, we headed to The Habit, where we waitied for our burgers and fries for what seemed like an eternity. A great day on the links, fellas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how is it that a 10-puttin; humpback-swingin; maki-countin; drunk-hacking bum like you has played more rounds than me this year? and you still need a snowman rule ... damn, grandma sandab would be disappointed.

nice orange driver, where's the penguin visor?

6/12/2006 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home