Monday, January 09, 2006

Mind of Mencia

Carlos Mencia himself

On Friday, December 30th, Ingrid and I headed to our second major comedy event. About a year ago, Ingrid took me to see Chris Rock at the Universal Amphitheatre and I still laugh to this day whenever I think back. Next on our list was Carlos Mencia. I had never seen him perform before, but heard he was hilarious, so I grabbed some tickets off of StubHub. Apparently, he's got his own show on Comedy Central.

Ingrid's new car

Ingrid rolled out in her brand new, fully-loaded 2006 BMW 330i and picked me up at work. Wowza! I love this ultimate driving machine...

Cruising in Style

I hopped inside and we headed to J-Town to find a spot to grab dinner before the journey to Riverside Municipal Auditorium. Check out the ultra hip brushed aluminum trim around the dash... way cool.

Sake Pistols!

We ended up scoring a seat at what seemed to be a very popular sushi restaurant, but Ingrid and I weren't huge fans. In any event, to prepare for the trip, I ordered some sushi and brandished a pair of fully-loaded sake pistols. Don't get too close because you might get a shot.

Navigation

We finished dinner quickly and made our way to Riverside. For some reason, I thought Riverside was just a stone's throw away, but Ingrid informed me it's at least an hour away as the crow flies. According to her handy navigation system, she was right. After driving for about a half hour, we still had 52 miles to go, with an ETA of 9:17. Man, I love this car.

Lovely place

We arrived with time to spare and scored a great parking space on the main street just a couple of blocks away from the venue. To my surprise, this street in Riverside turned out to be a beautiful, historic part of town. While we were there it felt like we went back in time...

Horse drawn carriage

Way back in time...

Lights!

Well, maybe not that far back in time, but I think the last time I saw a station wagon like this was in the 1980's. In fact, my mom used to own a Ford Country Squire station wagon that looked very similar to the one in the picture. It had red interior and I recall many great naps in the back as a child.

Pagoda

Here's Ingrid doing her best impression of a Japanese tourist... Or is it Nixon. Can't tell, but it ain't that great either way.

The scene

We eventually made it to the auditorium with time to spare. Despite getting our tickets a month in advance, they were selling for five times their face value, and the best tickets I could get my hands on were 20th row seats, which didn't sound that bad.

Long lines

After a few drinks in the waiting area, we were let inside. The crowd was very diverse but there was a single common thread uniting us all -- We were all there to laugh.

Comedy

I soon realized that the 20th row ain't as close as I thought... especially in the Riverside Municipal Auditorium. When we attended Chris Rock's show at the Universal Amphitheatre, it seemed that no matter where you sat in that place, you had either a good direct view of Chris Rock, or a view of one of the two huge screens. Well there was none of that here. "Amphitheatre" v. "Auditorium"... I should've known. That said, however, the distance between us and the stage didn't affect our enjoyment one bit, and we couldn't stop laughing at the warm-up acts.

Carlos on stage

By the time Carlos Mencia rolled out on his chopper, it was already pushing 11:30 and my stomach already hurt from laughing too much. Boy, was I in trouble...

Everyone on stage

For the next three hours, Ingrid and I laughed uncontrollably at Carlos Mencia's stand-up act. In the words of Ingrid, "Mencia was completely vulgar, inappropriate, and racially insensitive, but had us hysterically laughing the entire time." To repeat any of what I heard wouldn't do it justice, but suffice it to say that we had an amazingly enjoyable, gut-wrenchingly good time. Excellent!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I like your description of Mencia. Very accurate. I'm going to add it to the post.

2/22/2006 12:01 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

I've always wondered how Riverside could be so close, yet so far away...

You know when you drive back West on the 10 from beyond Ontario and there's that one rise through the hills and all of sudden, before you stretches all of LA -- just miles and miles and miles of lit-up square tracts of land as far as the eye can see, twinkling lights in the evening sun.

And then you think, "Wow. *EACH* of those houses probably costs more than $500,000...."

Scary. Just an ocean of expensive land.

2/22/2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Jake,

I do know the rise of which you speak and share in your sentiments that the land is ridiculously expensive. That is the reason we need to buy as much as we can now.

2/22/2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Glady,

You are different from us and have adventures of a different nature, like eating sea urchins and getting your mp3 player stolen by little kids.

2/22/2006 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home