Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wedding in San Jose

Heading out

On Saturday, October 22nd, Mike (Ingrid's co-worker) married Kim in San Jose. Ingrid had the bright idea of driving up there, leaving Saturday afternoon and returning Sunday night. Needless to say, in between the drive up and the return drive home, we partied like rockstars.

No traffic

As you know, an appointment just wouldn't be an appointment for Ingrid if she didn't risk being late... So that's exactly what we did. We left LA in the early afternoon hoping to arrive in San Jose for a 5:00 wedding ceremony. Luckily for us on the way up, there was very little traffic.

Hydrating

Having each spent three years at law school up in the Bay Area, we're both very familiar with the rigors of the commute and planned like experts. Ingrid gathered the essentials... water, sandwiches and good spirits, to name a few, which pushed our time of departure into the realm of "Nearly Impossible To Make It To The Wedding On Time."

Greenery

But if there's one thing I've learned over the years with Ingrid it's that you can never count her out. So I sat back and enjoyed the scenery.

San Jose

In the last leg of the trip, which is supposed to be the most scenic, I fell asleep. It felt like a dream when I opened my eyes and we had already arrived in San Jose. The time?... 4:30.

Beautiful dress

We quickly parked, unloaded our bags, rushed to check in and headed straight to the room where Ingrid took a shower and changed into this beautiful dress. Not a moment to spare. It honestly never ceases to amaze me how close Ingrid can cut it, but somehow consistently make it to events in the nick of time.

Bride and groom

We hurried out of the room so quickly that I forgot my camera, so I have no pictures of the ceremony. But here's the bride and groom at the reception. Kim had just changed from her wedding gown into this traditional Vietnamese dress. I also have to apologize for the quality of these pictures. My camera was broken at the time, so we used Ingrid's crappy camera instead.

Lawyer and Rocket Scientist

Ingrid's and Mike's two other co-workers, Nat and Wendy, made it out with their siginificant others as well. Here's Nat with his girlfriend, Julie. She's a rocket scientist. Literally.

Superstars

With the exception of one rocket scientist, our table was full of attorneys. How fun. Yes, that was me being sarcastic. Just so you get a feel for what this means, when Ingrid and I first arrived at the table, one first-year attorney was talking to us about how many huge cases he was managing, then, after realizing that we were both attorneys too (with more experience than him), quickly scaled back. I guess to some attorneys, "management" is a synonym for "doc review." Whatever you want to call it, it ain't rocket science...

Just two unwed females?

Eventually, it came time to toss the bouquet, at which point I became paralyzed with flashbacks of the last wedding Ingrid and I attended. Seeing only Ingrid and Julie out there made me a bit weak in the knees.

Phew!

More people eventually showed up (thankfully?) and Kim didn't toss the bouquet very far, so the person who caught the bouquet (i.e. snatched the bouquet just before it hit the ground) had to dash forward to get it. I guess Ingrid didn't want it bad enough... ?

Dancing

Then finally, it came time for my favorite part of any wedding... Dancing! And nothing can keep Ingrid and me off the dance floor. We're dancing machines!

Mike dancing

Mike joined us on the dance floor with his miniature dancing partner. There's Wendy and her date there in the background.

Drunk

By the end of the night, this is how I felt. Excellent!

Cruising

The next morning Ingird and I joined the newly married couple and some others for a short breakfast, then packed up our things and headed out. Before leaving the hotel, I took a quick bike ride in the hotel's Starbucks while Ingrid went to retrieved something she forgot in the room.

Lake something

On the drive back, I stayed awake and got to enjoy the scenery that I missed on the ride up. It was a beautiful day.

Congratulations Mike and Kim!

19 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I think you mean, "beautiful face."

The bouquet toss was definitely rigged... You're like a magnet for those things.

Booze? Don't you mean "spirits"? Ha. It was a great drive and solid trip all around. Love ya.

11/28/2005 9:20 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

You had a car bar? Solid. I've done that drive hundreds of times and it makes your mind go numb. The road is completely straight for 100 miles. Good thing you had each other. And spirits.

11/29/2005 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"retruning" under the first picture.

- The GP.

11/29/2005 3:14 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

GP,
Fixed. Thanks.

Jake,
"Car bar"? I love it. I've definitely done that drive so many times that I know the scenery better than in my own neighborhood. Night or day, it doesn't matter. I even made that drive a few times without a radio... alone... Terrible.

I've taken naps at rest areas and side streets.

I've refueled at virtually all the gas stations along the way. One time, half way through my drive down, I realized I didn't have my wallet... Don't ask.

I've eaten at the Sizzler's in Gorman (twice), but have always wanted to eat at Iron Skillet.

I've gotten three speeding tickets on the drive (including two fix-it tickets for tinted windows). For some reason the tickets have always been on the drive up.

I've made "driving buddies" along the way.

I've gone the wrong way a couple of times near Berkeley.

I've driven through the Grapevine in the thickest fog I've ever seen.

I've stopped at those fruit stands and picked up some fruit.

I've driven 120mph+ on the 5.

I've relieved myself in a bottle while driving to avoid stopping (just did that again on my last trip up, in fact... the car bar'll do it to ya every time).

I've seen a car engulfed in flames on the side of the highway.

I've almost gotten into an accident because some crazy person slammed on the brakes in the fast lane of a traffic-less 5 for absolutely no reason at all (seriously).

I've seen a horse fall out of the back of moving horse trailer. Oh wait, that wasn't on the 5, that was somewhere else, but I did see it happen...

All very, very good times.

11/30/2005 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You peed in a bottle in front of Ingrid in the car? This girl definitely loves you.

12/01/2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

No, Brookester. I peed in a bottle next to Ingrid in the car and made her look away. But she definitely loves me.

12/01/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I filled the entire bottle!!!

12/02/2005 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it a forty? Otherwise, you have a ways to go before you start boasting.

12/05/2005 1:17 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

No, Old E, it was not a forty. It was one of those one-liter water bottles. And since one liter = 33.8 fluid ounces, I was pretty close... especially given that I abbreviate the "flow" because the bottle was full.

12/05/2005 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good, you've made me proud. Boast away.

12/05/2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

And when was the last time you filled up a 40 oz. I predict I will be disappointed by your answer.

12/06/2005 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fifteen years ago, but I will revel in the glory forever.

12/08/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

You are an old man, old e. Past your prime, virtually married and downright lame. I pity you and your unadventurous lifestyle.

12/09/2005 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized the genius of the Starbucks/bicycle pic. If you self-timed that shot, I bow down.

12/18/2005 6:32 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

NEW POST! NEW POST! NEW POST!

12/20/2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

No one touches my camera,

I wish I could take credit for such a well-timed shot, but I cannot. Ingrid returned from retrieving the item she left in the room and snapped the shot (right next to the shark). But next time...

Jake,

I know. I'm overdue. But the next one is the big one that will blow your last post out of the water.

12/20/2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY NYOO YEEAH YA FAHKIN KAKSUKUZ!!!

12/31/2005 11:57 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

m. broderick,

You're lucky we didn't kick your ass that day.

1/11/2006 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COME BACK TO NEW YORK!!! this city just isn't the same without you guys. and for some reason, instead of getting drunk and staying up all night like when you guys were here, now we play board games, drink tea and go to bed by 11 pm...hmmm....

1/21/2006 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home