Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Drink for Hurricane Relief

Good picture

Ah yes... Four of my best friends on a unique adventure. An adventure that we seldom have. An adventure involving copious amounts of alcohol. An adventure only the bold dare to undertake...

The other day, Ingrid's friend Jen mentioned that she was heading to a Hurricane Katrina fundraising silent auction and reception at EpoxyBox in Venice and asked us to join her. With that, I rounded up the troops for a last minute plan and despite a little rain, we made our way there.

Eat and run

But before we headed to EpoxyBox, Darren, Frosty, Ingrid and I gathered at my folks' house for some grub. Curry rice was being served, and man was it tasty! I think we all went back for seconds, and in Frosty's case, fifths.

Silent Auction

After a quick dinner, we headed to the event and paid our entry fee donation for Hurricane Katrina relief. As for the silent auction, it turned out to be just that - silent - because there was nothing to bid on but a bunch of crap. But hey, it was for hurricane relief after all, so I put my name down for a dinner for two, only to be outbid by my brother's girlfriend... great. Is that a box of pasta there in plastic wrap?!? You see what I mean?... nothin' but crap.

Jen joins us

Ingrid searched the small crowd and quicky found Jen, who immediately recognized Darren from seeing his ugly mug (and funny-looking elf ear) on this blog. It's was like they knew each other already. By the way, Ingrid told me that I should "bring a jacket," and then stole it from me as you can see...

Beer anyone?

As Jen and Ingrid caught up, Frosty, Darren and I headed to get some brew from the keg. I hadn't pumped a keg since my college days, but as they say, once a professional, always a professional. Time to get this party started!

Pinky martinis

One of the major sponsors of the event was Pinky Vodka. I had never heard of it until that night, but being a vodka lover, I couldn't wait to try it. So what if it's pink?!? Vodka is vodka, right?... Well I couldn't have been more wrong!!! Not only were they chintzy with the proportions, but drinking Pinky Vodka is like drinking a cup of liquified flowers! Ugh! Apparently, Pinky Vodka is infused with rose petals or some other crap, creating a horrendous flowery taste. What a terrible idea! Do I look like a f**king hummingbird or bumblebee?!? Give me the real s**t, please!

Crowded

Well, we immediately abandoned the idea of filling our system with the Pink and headed through the crowds to the other end of the place where we found opened bottles of wine. Now we're talking!

Shawn and Amy

Shawn and his new girfriend, Amy, made it out just in time to share in our very important discovery.

Sausages for Frosty

Meanwhile, Frosty, the self-proclaimed sausage conisseur, found his match indoors near the food. Sausage in hand, he's never looked happier.

Vamping

Jen introduced us to two of her friends and then vamped for this shot.

Lovebirds

After spotting Shawn and Amy in the corner huddled together like two litte lovebirds, I couldn't help but harass him, especially after several cups of wine...

Twin Lovebirds

Oh wait... There's another guy nearby with a shaved head whispering sweet nothings to his girlfriend too!... What is this, a competition?!? Get a room people!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Pinky vodka sounds like the most horrendous shit on Earth. The Russians are probably going to start bombing us again just because of that. (And yes, Russians bombed us at one time, I'm just not sure when.)

Drinking for disaster relief is cool. We had mojitos for the victims of the hurricane too. Or was that the tsunami? So many natural disasters, hard to keep them straight.

1/30/2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

I want to be featured more on Kevingrid. I haven't made an appearance in forever. Sucks for me.

1/30/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

You're right on the money about Pinky Vodka. Terrible. Probably worse than "the green stuff" from your Thanksgiving party. I forgot all about our mojitos for hurricane/tsunami relief (I can't remember either). But drinking is good. Especially for a good cause.

As for being features more, it's your fault that we never see you anymore. You're practically married. But I'll always have fond memories of 4100.

1/30/2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I never had a doubt you'd catch it. It's only for the quick-witted, which you evidently are.

1/31/2006 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the last photo and comment about the happy couples in the corner...definitely one of Kevin's best lines.

2/02/2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Bent out of shape,

Wow! I took a look at your blog and first, I have to say that I love its name. So fitting. Second, I want to thank you for successfully taking hours out of my day while I read your blog (it's so damn interesting!). Third, I'm amazed at the medical procedure you underwent and your remarkable recovery. I too, have gone under the knife (long story, best told when drunk), but for surgery not nearly as major as yours (serious, but not as serious). The doctors fused your vertebrae together?!?!!! I didn't even know that could be done! You know, before becoming an attorney, I majored in biology with a profound interest in becoming a doctor. Seeing your story makes me wish I had gone to medical school rather than law school, only to end up slaving away here at The Firm. And before I bombard you with any questions about you/your blog (e.g., are you taller now?, etc.), I think I'll read the entire thing, as I sure many of my obvious questions will have been addressed. I can't wait to read more...

As for your other (new) blog, you can never go wrong with pictures. As far as I'm concerned, the more pictures the better. I take so many pictures, I think Ingrid is going to destroy my camera. Anyway, let me know once it's up!I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'm glad to have reached out to some of you on the east coast and now that I know you guys are checking for updates, I feel inspired to get back up to date (I'm almost two months behind, with about six posts in the works). Hello coworkers! It was truly a pleasure meeting you all!

2/03/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Two inches?!? Geez. There was some serious straightening out goin' on.

The internet is indeed amazing. We can connect with others on the other side of the world (or country) at the click of a mouse. And that's hilarious what Jenny said. You guys are silly. Especially because our lives pale in comparison to most. I'm sure that if you turned your night of popcorn and beer into a post on your blog it would have been filled with wild fun and crazyness. As a general rule of thumb, there's nothing like beer to promote solid, embarassing posting activity. That said, however, there's now added pressure for Ingrid and me to be spontaneous and adventurous, but first, I'll have to catch up on my posts.

Upcoming post teasers:
New Year's Eve at a Hollywood nightclub and Frosty's birthday party at a karaoke bar.

2/07/2006 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home