Superbowl Scoop!

That's right ladies and gentlemen... Time for the second annual Superbowl party at my folks' house! It was the usual suspects in attendance for Superbowl XLI. Ingrid even invited Christine to partake in the fun.

When I arrived at my parents' house, Pandy was already there, geared up and ready for football. As you can see he left his white chinstrap unbuttoned since he was already wearing his black chinstrap.

Pandy also brought very own homemade "Payton Manning" jersey to support the Indianapolis Lakers in their effort to reach Superbowl stardom.

Speaking of Superbowl stardom, Frosty carried on his tradition of BBQ'ing for the event while the rest of us enjoyed some tasty beverages.

As usual, the self-proclaimed sausage connoisseur worked his magic on the sausages on the grill, and as usual, Pandy stuffed those magic sausage into his own grill.

Hmmmm. Deja vu. I swear I've seen a picture exactly like this before.

Seeing this picture reminds me that Frosty had brought over some very tasty Spam onigiri that day... and ate most of it by himself.

At our Superbowl parties, there's always something for everyone. Only slightly interested in the outcome of the game, Ingrid found Superbowl enjoyment in selecting some of these vintage designer goods that my mom inherited. Score!

Again, there's always something for everyone. In Frosty's case, a simultaneous combination of two of his true loves -- food and football -- had him so happy he just stood outside like this for nearly an hour. Of course, after the first minute or so, he was sans cheeseburger.

We all crowded around the TV to watch the game, which started off explosively with a Bears touchdown on the opening kickoff. Of course, no Superbowl party would be complete without the usual grid betting.

For those of you who don't know, my dad is notorious for mixing up common sayings just enough so that it's wrong, but still close enough that the listener knows what the intended saying is when taken in context. Since Shawn and I were kids, we've all shared many laughs after hearing some of the formulations dad has come up with, including, for instance, saying "cold duck" (instead of "cold turkey"). Today was one of those special days where we would hear yet another classic. After Andy had one the first two quarters of betting and looked well on his way to winning the third quarter as well, my dad blurts out "Andy's going to scoop!" (instead of "Andy's going to sweep!"). Immediately, my mom and I looked at each other and couldn't hold back the laughter.

And from that point on, "scoop" became the word of the day, with each use of the word being more hilarious than the last. Here I am "scooping" the winnings from the others with a plastic spoon.

I even scooped $20 from my father in a side bet. Scoop! Scoop!

And Andy scooped the final score prize with his helmet.

There was all sorts of scooping going on that night, and even some attempted scooping. Here's Glady trying to scoop Hutch's throne as, according to my mom, my nicest friend. He's telling my mom that one time Hutch robbed a liquor store and shot somebody. And for the record, to my dad's credit, the term "scoop" is used in bridge and has substantially the same meaning as "sweep". But that didn't take away from the hilarity of it all.


1 Comments:
I'm glad I got the "scoop" from this post.
- Payton Manning
Post a Comment
<< Home