Saturday, March 31, 2007

Overdoing It At 30 (and 29)

IMG_6196

Uh oh. That was naturally the feeling leading up to my birthday celebration. For the big 3-0 (and Darren's 2-9), I decided to have a party at Lucky Strike in Hollywood. It's not everyday a guy turns 30 (or 29 for that matter), so we had big plans for this momentous occassion. Needless to say, we were not let down. Or more accurately, we did not let ourselves down...

IMG_6186

My brother joined Ingrid and me at the house and started off the celebration with a flute of champagne... just the first of many, many drinks to come.

IMG_6195

After a quick drink, we all relocated to Lucky Strike, just down the street from our house. There, we met up with other earlybirds, including Frosty and Kevin (and Jeanine) over there on the left.

IMG_6190

Of course, the CHC Gang was in full force that night, ready to do some serious bowling.

IMG_6191

Now what 30th brithday celebration would be complete without one of the people responsible (accidentally or not) for bringing me into this world. Haha.

IMG_6193

As we waited for our lane to open up, Ingrid and Adrian enjoyed some drinks.

IMG_6197

My mom and dad have probably never set foot in a place like this before. But the thought didn't even cross my mind at the time, probably because they're the coolest parents a guy could have and naturally connect with us younger folks... especially my father, who is clearly in touch with 30 year-old humor the way he's trying to catch my mom's attention holding that beer bottle. Good one, dad. Hahhaa.


IMG_6202

That's right Kevin... don't look so surprised. I'm 30 now, and the party's just getting started.

IMG_6204

Before we knew it, our names were called and it was time to bowl! Frosty clearly couldn't wait to get his hands on some balls.

IMG_6205

I was up first, and my bowling prowess showed itself early that night... long before the alcohol caught up with me. My cup is blocking the lane in this picture, but trust me, it was a strike...

IMG_6218

...at least that's the way I'll remember it.

IMG_6211

That's right, birthday brother. We're old! Woo hoo!

IMG_6215

Many were in attendance that night, including Darren's friend and his girlfriend who live in San Diego, but happened to be in town and stopped by.

IMG_6216

Darren summoned the power of Ultraman that night, and being 29 years old now, he's gonna need it.

IMG_6219

This may be my favorite picture of the night. I actually don't remember the last time my father and my brother have been captured on film laughing together. We were all having a great time.

IMG_6224

Speaking of uncommon events, we actually got my father to get out on the bowling alley and show us how it's done. Unfortunately he wasn't sure himself, how to knock the pins down. This is his second ball, and after this shot, the pins were all still standing. Honestly.

IMG_6226

I must admit that I love seeing everyone having a good time.

IMG_6227

I also must admit that we birthday boys got big balls.

IMG_6231

Glady and Natty were late arrivals, but came bearing gifts. To give you some background, weeks before the party, I sent out an evite to all invitees including my father, encouraging everyone to attend and celebrate with Darren and me. Many replied "yes" they would be there coupled with a message expressing their enthusiasm. My father, on the other hand, replies that he won't attend, and guess what message he leaves along with his response?:

A. Happy Birthday!
B. Congratulations, son!
C. Have a great time!
D. None of the above.

IMG_6233

If you answered "D" to the question above, you're correct. No well-wishes from dad, but rather, a simple one-liner saying, "Do no over do it"... From the time he responded all the way until the day of the party, that phrase became everyone's mantra and was repeated over and over again, making all of us laugh each time we heard it. So what does Glady get me for my birthday? That's right. Shirts with our mantra printed on it. Lots of them. Darren and I couldn't stop laughing...

IMG_6234

Do not over do it! Do not over do it! Do not over do it! Do not over do it!

IMG_6236

Ingrid repeated the mantra to me, perhaps a bit too late to make a difference. This is me saying "Me? Over do it? C'mon!!!"

IMG_6240

After we put on the DNODI (do not over do it) shirts, like Superman revealing the "S" on his chest, Glady ripped open his button-up shirt to reveal his very own DNODI shirt... awesome.

IMG_6241

These shirts are so hilarious, I think it's time to overdo it. What do you guys think?

IMG_6248

I grabbed Shawn a DNODI shirt, but the only one left was a size obviously too small for him. Oh well...

IMG_6249

After much excitment and laughing, we got back to the business at hand, and my mom took the lead, ready to show us (especially my dad) how it's done.

IMG_6250

And show us she did, as she bowled a strike on her first attempt. Nice, mom!!! Let's give her a round of applause!



What I thought was a fluke, turned out not to be, as my mom continued to bowl strike after strike. Check out this video of my mom demonstrating her skills. And although this wasn't a strike, she was throwing them all night... and she definitely picked up this spare.

IMG_6252

A true friend, Hutch flew out from the Bay to celebrate our birthdays. Everybody loves Hutch, and it's easy to see why. He always looks surprised and happy to see you.

IMG_6253

Yes Hutch, my mom's a good bowler. Don't look so surprised. And do not over do it.

IMG_6254

Ingrid's such a trooper and earned the Medal of Honor that night for taking care of me. Here, she's keeping me hydrated in an effort to prevent me from overdoing it.

IMG_6255

What a couple of fine looking couples. Darren and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration. We love you!

IMG_6257

By the way, in case you forgot, do not over do it.


IMG_6259

Every year, you can bet Ingrid will get Darren and me a cake, and this year was no different.

IMG_6263

And some cake it was... A picture of Darren and me, together with a couple of special messages printed in chocolate.

IMG_6265

The moment I saw "Don't Over Do It" on the cake, I couldn't stop laughing and couldn't resist grabbing the chocolate and slapping it on my shirt... clearly overdoing it at this point.

IMG_6268

Frosty, this is OUR birthday party, NOT YOURS! Stay away from our cake!

IMG_6269

Forks?!? Who needs forks?!

IMG_6272

I absolutely loved having my mom and dad there to celebrate my 30th. I couldn't have been happier... obviously. Especially with that drink in my hand.

IMG_6275

We always say that Glady is the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back. And that night, he did so that Hutch could be reminded of our mantra.

IMG_6274

And in case you forgot, do not over do it.

IMG_6278

I better enjoy this while I can, because before I know it, I'll be as old as Glady.

IMG_6279

Glady did his best to get Hutch to over do it. Keep up the good work!

IMG_6283

Kevin, that DNODI shirt looks good on you. Thumbs up for sure.

IMG_6285

When you see my brother and me horsing around with Christine, we're clearly overdoing it.

IMG_6284

Hmmmm... I may have overdone it. Just a little maybe. But I had a great time overdoing it and wouldn't have celebrated my 30th birthday any other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home