Sunday, September 16, 2007

Finally!

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1889

On September 16, 2007, Ingrid and I got married. It was six and a half years in the making, but we eventually got there. And got there in true Kevingrid style.

IMG_7131

As you might have guessed, the entire day was mapped out in tremendous detail and the first order of business was to meet up with the groomsmen at the hotel they would be staying at that night. As my brother and I made our way to Beverly Hills, we read the signs along the way. This one is clearly telling me there's no turning back.

IMG_7132

I guess after today, apartments in this place will be off limits for me. Call me crazy, but something tells me Shawn will still be able to go here for many, many years to come.

IMG_7133

We decided to enjoy my last hours as a bachelor with some food. And what else could be more appropriate for a bachelor's last meal than some pizza.

IMG_7134

Upon arrival at the groomsmen's hotel, I found Darren fine tuning his speech in what was being referred to as the "Think Tank". Both he and my brother were pegged with speech duties at the wedding reception. And having heard some terrible and semi-inappropriate speeches at past weddings, there was some debate beforehand between Ingrid and me about whether she could screen the speech material. I refused to allow any preliminary review and demanded that we have faith in Shawn and Darren and just live in the moment. All that said, don't let me down, gentlemen.

IMG_7138

As Darren worked on his speech, we sat around, ate pizza and watched sports. Hopefully marriage won't mean that was the last time I'd get to do that.

IMG_7141

Soon thereafter, the timeline on our itinerary kicked in and it came time to head over to Chateau Marmont to get ready. We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't quite ready, so we posted in the lobby where, due to the various stars that frequent the place, pictures are prohibited.

IMG_7140

Hutch and the Gladburglar joined us there, and in an effort to erase the memory of his sins at the bachelor party, the Gladburglar came with a bag full of doublecheeseburgers in tow.

IMG_7143

As I mentioned, pictures are prohibited and the staff let us know it. The wedding photographer and videographer arrived with their cameras and the hotel staff was ready to kick them both out of that place thinking they were paparazzi. With the restriction on pictures cramping our style, we headed up to our room... but not before we all shared a stiff drink and a solid toast to good friends.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1452

Okay, prior to this point in the post, only the first picture was taken professionally, but from this point on, with the entry of the photographers on the scene, the pictures are going to get good... really good. Some of them are really amazing.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1424

For those of you who don't know, Chateau Marmont is a hotel in Hollywood, California built in 1927 and modeled after the Château d'Amboise in France's Loire Valley. The hotel is named for the street running across the back of the property and has served as the backdrop for a number of events in the lives of well-known celebrities who still frequent the place. The hotel room where we were getting ready was the hotel room Ingrid and I would be spending our first night together as husband and wife. It was a huge room, complete with kitchen, balcony and this great view overlooking Sunset Boulevard.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1330

As luck would have it, it was a warm day that Sunday afternoon and the balcony was a great place to get some fresh air and cool down in the breeze.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1328

The balcony's also great for calming nerves... especially when you have a drink to help the process.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2067

In the meantime, as we lounged around and relaxed, Ingrid and her bridesmaids and family were getting ready at the house. Koji, Ingrid's hairstylist, arrived bright and early to get everyone's hair done.

Color20

And Berly arrived early to do everyone's make-up.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2092

Elyssa was just happy to spend some time with Ingrid, her nina.

B&W 19

In between the numerous hair and make-up treatments, Ingrid squeezed in a big hug for her mom.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2192

And at the next opportunity after curlers were put into her hair, squeezed in a big squeeze for her dad.

Color26

After the curlers came out, Ingrid looked like she was going to rock a Big 80's style hairdo for the wedding. She looks like a mannequin here... with a wig.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1341

Back at Chateau Marmont, with time ticking by, I thought it best for us to all get ready. The wedding would be upon us in no time. Is it getting hot in here? Am I the only one sweating? Apparently so...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1344

When it comes to wedding attire, guys are easy, especially for a good looking group like us. White shirt, tuxedo, no make-up and very little hair preparation (if at all).

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1345

Well, easy for some, I suppose. Andy needed some help with the high-tech buttons that came with our rented tuxedos.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1375

I've always been grateful for having such wonderful friends. And as a token of my love and appreciation, I said a few words that afternoon and presented each of the groomsmen with a small gift.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1377

They were obviously surprised by both my kind words and the gift, or perhaps thought I was just pulling their chain. But I was serious, and the gift was for real. I bestowed upon each of them, a money clip engraved with their initials.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1380

You're lucky, Darren. I was thinking of getting yours engraved with "Sweet D" or even "Dirty D", but I decided to keep it clean and classy for the wedding.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1385

I realized when I ordered the moneyclips that some groomsmen would have more use for them than others, but I had no idea that I'd need to provide some with the cash to make use of the gift.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1406

As the time passed, the stress grew. The stress, however, wasn't about getting married, but rather over the huge production of the entire event. This wedding took months to plan and prepare, and I wanted everything to go smoothly. Not for my sake really, but for Ingrid's sake.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1417

Darren used the time to further hone his speech, but with no Think Tank around, he opted for the Think Couch.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1423

Similarly, Shawn used the Think Balcony to polish up his speech.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1432

As they worked on their speeches, the rest of us got suited up in our tuxedos.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1459

At some point, Ingrid checked in with me to make sure we were sticking to the itinerary. And after we synchronized our watches, I reassured her we would be punctual.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1448

Eventually it came time to button things up, literally. Great idea, except for the fact that as I tried to button my coat, the button came right off. Damn rented tuxedos!

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1461

No wedding is without its gliches, and ours was no exception. We called downstairs for a sewing kit and I began sewing the button back onto my coat. But there was one problem... I don't know how to sew a button onto a coat!

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1468

Thankfully, Glady's years of homemaking and manwifing came in handy, as he sewed my button back in place. He looks so natural in this setting, don't you think?

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1445

Ah yes... much better. I knew there was a reason I made you a groomsman, Glady.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1483

And after everyone got suited up, we all gathered on the balcony for a group shot. I wonder who will get married next.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1335

Before leaving, I noticed there was complimentary champagne waiting there in the room for us, but wait a minute... Something ain't right here.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1419

Ahhh, yes. That's more like it. Now, I'm ready. Let's roll out! Beverly Hills Presbyterian Church, here we come!

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2255

Meanwhile, back at the house, Ingrid was busy putting on her beautiful wedding dress.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2219

And the bridesmaids were getting geared up as well.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2232

Everyone looked very sharp, incuding Gerardo, Tia Paly...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits2281

... and especially Ingrid, who looked absolutely stunning. Now I'm ready to get married.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1518

After arriving at the church, we were escorted to this superhot room in the back. The only thing we had to help us keep cool was this small fan.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1520

While we waited for the ceremony to begin, I chatted with Ingrid, who was on her way to the church. When I asked her, "Are you ready to do this?", there was dead silence. I sat there waiting for a few seconds until I realized the call was dropped. It was just like those commercials you see where a call gets dropped at the worst possible moment.

B&W 18

This is one of my favorite pictures. After receiving it, I sent it to Darren and he and I exchanged funny captions for the picture. Here is the winner:

You won't be able to drink as much anymore, bro.

B&W 17

There's nothing like a huddle to get ourselves hyped up.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1551

The programs we made for the wedding had a little blurb about each person in the wedding party. Just before heading to the church, we all enjoyed a great laugh as I read everyone what their blurb said.

Shawn - My favorite brother, my best man, a guy who looks tough on the outside, but has a heart of gold if you dig really deep... and then dig some more.

Darren - My lifelong wingman (not to be confused with Frosty, my lifelong chicken wingman), sometimes an Ultraman, often a Superman, always a ladies man, so ladies watch out. No really, ladies, I mean it.

Jonathan - I've known Frosty longer than any other friend, and even though we call him Frosty, he's the warmest friend I have.

Andy - Only four words are needed to described my friend Andy: One-of-a-kind.

Hutch - I've never met a guy who didn't like Hutch, a true gentleman who has always been there to support me.

David - Glady (as he loves to be called) has been there for me through thick and thin, and is my oldest and grayest friend.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1546

And with that, we were ready for the ceremony to begin.

Color78

My mom and Ingrid's mom got the ceremony started with the lighting of the candles we would be using to light the Unity Candle. They both looked beautiful that day, and apparently color-coordinated with each other for the event.

Color79

Shortly thereafter, we were all escorted out to the front of the church to wait for the bride to come down the aisle...

Color61

... but not before the bridemaids filed in...

Color53

... and of course, not before my father came down the aisle with my grandmother, who looked amazing in her kimono.

B&W 10

And then finally, Ingrid made her grand entrance and proceeded down the super long aisle, arm and arm with her father. It was the first time I had seen her in her wedding dress, and she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen... super gorgeous, super stunning, super amazing and about to be super mine forever. Muahahahaaa!

Color7

As they made their way to the front, I could see the tears welling in Ingrid's eyes as she made her way to the front. She was taking short, controlled breaths to try and hold them back. Speaking of tears, being the tough guy that I am, there were bets on whether I would shed any that fateful day. The accounts are fuzzy, with Ingrid saying I didn't and many others saying I did. I can admit now that like Ingrid, tears welled up in my eyes as soon as I laid eyes on her. Some would say it was tears of sadness as my life as a bachelor came to an end, but those who know me best, know they were tears of happiness for our lives as one.

B&W 22

Ingrid and her father shared a moment before her father gave her away to me.

Color83

Like Ingrid, I used controlled breathing to hold back the tears, but according to my groomsmen, I also did something else. They say that I'm such a tough guy that as I started feeling the tears coming on, I clenched my fists, tensed up, and forced the tears back inside my body, and as a result, those tears manifested themselves as drops of sweat all over my face and neck. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I was burning up in there. It was hot and I couldn't stop sweating. My two saving graces that day were that (i) earlier that day, Frosty gave me a "sweat rag" to use, and (ii) Ingrid was there to help me dry off with the tissues she brought for her tears. At one point in the ceremony, Ingrid tried to wipe my brow, and I instead pulled the sweat rag Frosty gave me from my pocket and spoke to the crowd to let them know I had brought my own, which brought a little levity to the afternoon. Looking back though, it all seems so appropriate. After all, isn't marriage all about sweat and tears anyway?

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1595

Well, with all the sweat and tears temporarily dried up, we proceeded with the ceremony...

Color90

... we heard a few words from Reverend Worth, who shared his marriage wisdom with us...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1627

... then took the two candles our mothers had lit earlier in the ceremony and used them to light the Unity Candle, which symbolizes the coming together of the bride and groom, and the two families as one...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1630

... then we heard two passages read, one read by Josue (pronounced "ho-SWAY"), Ingrid's cousin's son, in English, and the other one read by Tia Totita, Ingrid's aunt, in Spanish. Shortly after that, we enjoyed a beautiful song from a Spanish trio (the same trio that sang for the guests as they entered the church, and would also entertain them during the reception). The lead singer was singing entirely in Spanish so I understood very little, but the way she sang with such emotion was absolutely amazing. Ingrid and I could feel her singing directly to us as we stood there together...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1609

... then we heard a few touching words from our very own Pastor Kevin (who is there on the left behind Ingrid's head), as Ingrid called for more tissue to wipe the sweat that had accumulated on my brow...

Color85

... then exchanged our vows and the rings...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1634

... and finally, a proclamation by Reverend Worth that we were now husband and wife, followed by our first kiss as a married couple...

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1638

Time to celebrate!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Color93

Finally husband and wife!!!! Whoa. Crazy.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1134

Three of my favorite people in the world followed us out.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1143

And we then all gathered in a room adjacent to the church where we celebrated...

B&W 13

... and shed some tears...

B&W 14

... and more tears.

B&W 12

Even my father showed a little sincerity.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1663

After the tears and hugging, we all gathered back in the church for some group pictures.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1186

I won't bore you with too many of them, but here's a fine one of me with my new in-laws.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1671

As happy as we ended up being with our photographer, we were less than happy with his bright idea of convincing guests to walk to a nearby garden for a group shot.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1206

Particularly since it involved walking through the dirt to get there. Oh no! Not the shoes!!! Anything but the shoes!!!

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1672

The guys, of course, cared less about the trek through the dirt (especially with the rented tux shoes) and just had a good time ribbing each other along the way.

Color109

In any event, we made it there for a quick shot and just as quickly headed back to the park for additional pictures.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1692

But before that, we all had to dust off.

Color110

Ahh yes... much better. What a fine looking group of men.

Color123

Seemed like we were out there taking various group shots for hours, and again, I won't bore you with them, but here's a nice picture of the entire wedding party.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1802

Once we finished the group pics, Ingrid and I broke away and headed down Rodeo Drive to take some pictures together. Here are some of my favorites.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1285

At first, when the photographer told us to embrach each other for a shot here in front of this advertisement, I thought it was a silly idea, but I actually really like the way it turned out.

B&W 28

Here's a very retro pic of the bride looking beautiful.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1291

We made our way all the way down to the far end of Rodeo and took some pics on the scenic walkway that's commonly associated with the street. There was actually a guard there prohibiting people from taking pictures, but Ingrid somehow convinced him to let us take a few shots.

Color231

Another lovely shot of my new wife.

Color236

We eventually made it all the way to Wilshire Boulevard and stopped traffic (literally) with this amazing shot in the middle of the street.

Color239

As we took photos, our guests made their way over to Republic, which was the venue for the reception. It's an amazing place and it was an easy decision for Ingrid and me to hold our wedding reception there.

Color169

The interior eating area is grand and dramatic, complete with a wall of wine that can only be accessed via a harness that's suspended from the ceiling. The wine girl strapped herself in and actually made a few nice selections during our reception.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1776

The reception was actually upstairs from the eating area. Here's Karl and Cathy enjoying some of the passed hors d'oeuvres.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1766

Hutch reunited with the Helenator after fulfilling his groomsmen duties. They look so happy together, and so tiny too.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1923

We eventually arrived at the reception and shared our first dance to I Belong to You by Lenny Kravitz.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1931

To be honest, we were pretty damn good and showed of some fine moves. It's amazing what a couple of lessons will do.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1933

Our dance was followed by some great speeches by my folks and Ingrid's folks.

Color276

Aunty Yayo and Granny seemed to be enjoying themselves, and I was so grateful to have them there to share in the moment.

Color176

Aunty Rose clearly seemed to be having a good time as well.

Color258

After guests were served dinner, the Maid of Honor, the Best Man and Darren each gave some fantastic speeches. Whew! There's no way I can do the speeches justice here, but they were everything you could ask for -- thoughtful, touching, entertaining and funny. I was genuinely impressed with each of them, and am thankful to have captured it all on our wedding video.

Color259

We were truly entertained and touched by the speeches. To give you an example of the tone, at the end of Darren's speech, he came up to both of us and held out his hand. He then told Ingrid to place her hand on top of his, and then instructed me to place my hand on top of hers. Darren then told me, "Kevin, I want to take some time to remember this moment... ... ... because it's the last time you'll ever have the upper hand!" Hahaha! So funny.

Color277

Later that evening Ingrid shared a dance with her father...

Color279

... and I shared a dance with my mother.

Color270

The dancing was followed by what I recall being the most enjoyable part of the reception. Remember a few posts back where people gathered at our house for a video? Well our stellar videographer prepared the most amazing video which we showed our guests. Lots of pictures, interviews with friends and family all finely edited and set to some great music. It had me laughing, Ingrid crying, and guests thoroughly entertained. I loved how the message from our friends and family was that Ingrid is a wonderful person, I am a hard person to deal with, and in the words of my father, "He's all yours now!!!"

Color180

Of course we had the customary tossing of the bouquet and throwing of the garter.

Color257

And let's not forget the amazing Thousand Tsuru (Japanese crane) Tree that was prepared by the most thoughtful of our family members in true Japanese tradition. It looks beautiful.

Color260

Next was the cutting of the cake, which was red velvet, by the way. Mmmmmm.

Color287

Close to the end of the night, I was finally able to join the others for a toast at the bar. Jake, we're not done with the toast yet, buddy. Good thing you're double-fisting and have an extra drink for the actual toast.

Color275

No great wedding would be complete without some super-stupendous dancing. And not only did Pandy made an appearance, but the Gladburglar made a brief visit and graced us all with what has come to be known as "The Matador Dance".

Color288

Man, what a wonderful wedding it was.

Color289

Ingrid and I danced with one another until the very end, and shut Republic down. Job well done, Ingrid. I hope the day was everything you had dreamed your wedding day would be. It was so much more than I ever imagined, and I wouldn't change a thing about it if I could.

2008KevingridWedding 188

After the reception, we made our way over to Chateau Marmont with some of the others for a few after party drinks.

IMG_7220

By that time in the evening, the alcohol had clearly gotten the best of the Best Man, but it was great to see that he was having such an enjoyable time.

IMG_7248

It was a perfect opportunity to unwind and reminisce about the day's events.

Ingrid & Kevin Edits1033

And after the bar closed for the evening, we said goodbye to the others and headed upstairs to our suite for our first night as husband and wife.

Polaroid 1

I thought I'd close this post with this picture. It looks so old school, which is why I like it so much. It reminds me of my mother and father, who have been perfect examples of what marriage should be. Thanks to everyone for coming out to join us for our special day. Feels so good to finally be husband and wife.

3 Comments:

Blogger steven said...

Hey, I was reading your blog and I think it's REALLY well done! You have so many entries and i really like the writing and humor along with it, and I think it's very sweet how you keep such a detailed blog.
I really enjoy your pictures and entries and writings a LOT. How come there hasn't been an update recently? That would be cool to see.
Did you go to the Maldives? It would be awesome if you could post pictures of the Maldives since I'm planning to go there with a special someone and was wondering what it's like. cheers!

8/13/2008 11:35 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks for the comment, Steven. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I haven't posted lately because I've been completely busy, but I'll be posting soon. The Maldives are just a few posts away and I've got tons of pictures (and stories) to share, so stay tuned! It was amazing there so you should definitely go if you can.

8/14/2008 12:56 PM  
Blogger steven said...

Wow, you replied quickly! I've heard the Maldives are really nice, but I'm not sure what time of the year is the best to go. I've been told there are monsoons in the summer. What time of the year did you go and how was it? Looking forward to an update :)

8/15/2008 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home