Glady and Natty Tie the Knotty

That's right. On Sunday, Glady and Natty finally got married. Ever since the first year of law school, even before Glady and I had become good friends, these two were an item and we all new this day would eventually arrive.

It had been a while since Ingrid and I were in the Bay and Ingrid had this brilliant plan for Saturday. And if you couldn't tell, when I refer to her plan as "brilliant" I mean it in the most sarcastic way possible. Let me just sum it up for you in a nutshell. Hey Kevin, instead of flying to SFO which is closer to our hotel, let's fly into Oakland, take the airport shuttle to the BART station, take two different trains to get to Rockridge, where we can exit with all of our bags in tow, and walk a very, very long distance until we get to this great little place I used to eat when I studied for the Bar, eat there, then take a cab all the way across the Bay Bridge to the City, and finally arrive at our hotel in time for the wedding rehearsal. As they say in Barbri class, good idea?... good idea?

Does this look like a good idea to you?!?! Let me just say that if it was a good idea, I think that in the three years I spent in law school, I would've seen at least one person pulling a suitcase behind them like this down this street... just once maybe. Needless to say, I never did.

Hey I've got a way to make this brilliant idea even better, Ingrid. How about you talk on the phone while I wheel all these bags around town? Man, good thing we're finally at the place you keep telling me will make this pilgrimage worthwhile.

So where is this place, Ingrid? What's that you say?!!! Ummm, did I hear you correctly? It's gone?!? You have got to be kidding me!!!! That's just great. I'm so happy we built up such a huge appetite from walking for what seemed like 10 miles with our luggage. Of course, Ingrid just smiled and made the best of it by doing some shopping at a nearby store.

After a couple hours of shopping, we hailed a cab and made our way to the City. Once there, we settled in and had some complimentary cheese and wine. Later that night, I attended Glady and Natty's rehearsal dinner (but forgot my camera), and the next morning, Ingrid and I visited Tyler and Amelia (but forgot my camera again) who prepared delicious breakfast for us. We enjoyed the amazing views of their place, which overlooks the bay, and Tyler and I sipped beers as we watched the ships pass.

Eventually it came time to get ready for the big event. I joined the groom and the groomsmen back at the hotel where we all got ready and helped each other get ready. Glady, are you going to fix your hair before we go? Oh... that's how you're rockin' it? Okay, never mind then.

Hey, Jerry, those are socks. They go on your feet.

Looks like Glady and his brother and best man, Charlie, are ready to roll. You guys look sharp... just like Glady's hair.

Let's see. I'm 30 years old and there were three things I did on this trip that, quite surprisingly (even to myself), I've never done before. First, was wearing a tuxedo. Second, was riding in a limo. I'll fill you in on the third later.

The ceremony was at the Palace of Fine Arts and we all arrived with time to spare.

Enough time for Ingrid to put on my boutonniere...

... enough time for Holger, who would be making a solo performance during the ceremony, to warm up...

... and enough time for us to barricade the entryways with ribbon somebody rounded up. You'd be surprised how many people, even with the barricades set up, stood around to watch the ceremony.

I love this picture. I like to imagine that I'm in a race for marriage and this is the finish line. And then I like to imagine that an instant before I break the ribbon, Glady runs right past me and wins the race. Wait... that's not my imagination.

That's right Glady and Natty. You jumped the line. Good thing Ingrid was cool about it all, or it could have driven a wedge in our friendship, as I understand it's been known to happen.

Eventually, the moment of truth arrived and the ceremony began. I offered Glady a few last minute words of wisdom, which Jerry appeared interested in hearing.

As I mentioned, during the ceremony Holger performed an amazing solo of a Spanish song, which loosely served as inspiration for the entertainment at our wedding.

And then before I knew it, they became Mr. and Mrs. Glady. Woo hoo!!!

After the ceremony, we all headed to the nearby Japanese tea garden for some pictures and some tea.

Since we're on the topic of marriage, I think Hutch and Helen there on the right may be next. He's obviously already got the whole tie matching thing down, but wait a minute... now that I think about it, it's very interesting that Hutch even owns a pink tie. Maybe he won't be next after all.

After afternoon tea, we headed to the wedding reception, which was held at a nearby Chinese restaurant. Shortly after arriving, we were entertained by an impressive dragon dance.

The reception was filled with great speeches, fine wine, good food and, my favorite, dancing.

It was a fantastic opportunity to catch up with some old friends from law school. So much has changed in the last three years. Such is life.

First comes love... Then comes marriage... Then you know what comes.

Congratulations Glady and Natty! Ingrid and I had a wonderful time. And a special thank you, Glady, for allowing me to share the experience as a groomsman -- the third "first" of the trip for me. It was an honor and a pleasure.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home