Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Naan-Stop (Day 15)

IMG_8595

This was our last full day in the Maldives, so we wasted no time settling back into our Kuda Huraa routine. Nothing like a little yoga and breakfast to get a jump start on that process.

IMG_8598

That morning, storm clouds were stirring on the horizon, so we knew it was only a matter of time until it started raining.

IMG_8602

And we didn't have to wait long. Before I even got a chance to take a dip in the pool, the rain began pouring down in sheets.



You can hear the rain coming down in this video.

IMG_8604

Cozy and dry beneath our hut, Ingrid and I could care less about the rain. We had enjoyed enough sun (probably too much sun in my case) by that point in our trip, so we just horsed around and rode out the storm under our hut.

IMG_8603

Yes, Ingrid. Believe it. We're married. No turning back now. You're stuck with me! Muaahahahaa!

IMG_8605

We played a little charades, and I quickly realized Ingrid wasn't the best at it, which made for some gut-wrenching laughs. But you're right, Ingrid. Soon, you'll be carrying my little baby in your belly. You think it'll be a boy or a girl?

IMG_8609

Once the rain subsided, I reacquainted myself with my old friends at the bar. And despite the rain starting up again, I continued to enjoy my drink in the pool.

IMG_8610

Having thoroughly enjoyed our meal the night before, we went back to the Reef Club for a late lunch.

IMG_8617

Ingrid ordered this pasta dish with squid.

IMG_8618

And I ordered this tootsie-roll-shaped calzone. I'm not sure how Ingrid's dish was, but this calzone was cooked in a wood fire oven and was delicious! This just goes to show that I love pizza no matter how it's prepared. Mmmmmm.

IMG_8623

I guess what they say is true. If you spend enough time in a place, you begin looking like your surroundings...

IMG_8657

That afternoon we hopped on a speedboat out to sea to go dolphin watching.

IMG_8643

Ingrid was excited to see dolphins, but was more excited with the tasty little chicken salad sandwiches and cookies that were served to us on the way out to sea. They do say that a full stomach is the first step to avoiding seasickness...

IMG_8637

The trip out to sea didn't take long, and before we knew it, our boat was surrounded by dolphins. According to our guides, almost every day around this time, the dolphins come out to play.



Check out this video of the dolphins swimming along side our boat.

IMG_8655

The dolphins jumped out of the water repeatedly,... spinning, flipping and soaring through the air.

IMG_8662

I think they enjoyed putting on a show for us because as we clapped and cheered, the dophins became more and more active.



Here's a video of the dolphins as they headed away from us and back out to sea.

IMG_8670

After the dolphin show, we settled in for dinner. We were well aware that it would be our last dinner in the Maldives, so we put a lot of thought into our decision on where to eat. And with an unexpected second opportunity to eat at Baraabaru, we couldn't resist. I told you we'd be back!!!

IMG_8673

This time, we sat at the bar and got up close to the action. That large cylindrical drum is the tandoori oven. Throughout the night, the staff would put uncooked naan on the tip of an iron rod and place it in the cylinder. A few minutes later, they'd use the same rod to pull freshly-cooked naan out of the oven. I couldn't help but wonder what was inside.

IMG_8675

As you can see, we just can't get enough (of the cheese naan, not each other), so keep it coming!

IMG_8677

This giant mushroom rock was superheated and cooked the dough this guy is holding in seconds.

IMG_8678

Sitting at the bar was great, but as you can see by my sweat-soaked shirt, it was hot up there. Being in the tropics, it was already warm to begin with, but sitting next to hot rocks and ovens didn't do anything to cool me down. Of course, Ingrid was just perfectly fine with the heat. In any event, cheers to the best trip ever, Ingrid! We rock!

IMG_8680

We started our meal with this dish of chicken and shrimp. Mmmmmm... so tasty and tender.

IMG_8682

And then followed up with some scrumptious curry and rice. It was even better than the first time around.

IMG_8686

As we finished our meal, the chef came out and introduced himself, and we spent some time chatting with him. I had wondered all night long about how the naan was cooked, so I took the opportunity to ask him, and he invited both Ingrid and me behind the bar to see for ourselves.

IMG_8689

So that's how it works!! Very cool.

IMG_8690

I'm convinced that everyone on Kuda Huraa is super friendly. Now gimme that naan, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home