Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Cha-Cha-Cha-Change your mind, why don't you...

1, 2, Cha-Cha-Cha

I was in the office on Monday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. (22 hours), then went home to take a quick nap, only to get back in my car and head to the office by 9:00 a.m. I was exhasuted by the time I got out of work on Tuesday, but I put my fatigue aside and had dinner with Ingrid at Cha Cha Cha for some "Contemporary Caribbean Cuisine".

Profilin'

The restaurant has fantastic sangria and we ordered a pitcher while we decided what to have for dinner. Ultimately, Ingrid ordered the seafood paella and I ordered the salmon. Mmmmm...

Mmmmmm.

Then, something so typically Ingrid happens. The food finally arrives and we both dig into our respective meals. My salmon dish is so tender and tasty that I immediately offer Ingrid a taste, commenting that it's delicious as I drop a piece of salmon on her plate. With a masked look of disappointment, she nods her head in agreement and comments that I "ordered the better dish... (Whaaaaaa whaaaaa!)" Of course, being the gentleman that I am, I insist that she trade dishes with me, and with almost zero convincing, she agrees. Nothing but smiles. As I gaze upon my new meal, I notice that it's extremely hot as the entire plate is steaming profusely. My first bite of the seafood paella was hot, as anticipated, and for a moment I agreed with Ingrid about the better dish. But as the paella cooled off, the meal became much more enjoyable and was quite tasty with the rice and beans marinating in the seafood juices. Again, I offer Ingrid a taste from my plate, noting that it's quite good... And again, with the same masked look of disappointment along with a hint of reluctance, she nods in agreement. The next thing I know, she's reaching across the table with her fork and picking morsels of seafood off my plate... for the entire meal! I guess she changed her mind (whaaaaaaa whaaaa!). Classic.

Cha Cha Cha

I suppose this just means we'll have to take another trip to Cha Cha Cha and "share" another meal. One thing Ingrid didn't change her mind about was the sangria. Yum.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

I have dreams about the Cha Cha Cha sangria.

But they don't involve you guys, just a bunch of scantily-clad supermodels pouring pitchers of the sweet red elixer all over their glistening bodies and licking it off each other.

Their jamaican jerk chicken is really really good too.

5/02/2005 11:11 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

If dreaming of supermodels bathing each other in fruity red wine is "dirty", I don't want to be "clean".

But no way I'm Darren. The kid sees tits in Tijuana taxi cab license plates.

5/02/2005 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, I think you meant to say "elixir" which means "a sweetened aromatic solution of alcohol and water, serving as a vehicle for medicine" rather than "elixer" which means absolutely nothing.

Nena, duly noted.

Thank you and have a nice day.

5/02/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I would have to agree that Jake doesn't quite rise to the level of pervertedness of Dirty D. Jake is more a mix between Dirty D and Frosty. He has dreams about girls AND food, and girls eating food, and Jamaican jerk chicken.

5/02/2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

By the way, I like how you set the picture of you looking like a mannequin as your picture...

5/02/2005 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is only one true Dirty D and it's me!!! Dirty Dirty... (taking a bow... aaaaaaaand exit)

5/03/2005 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nena, your Grammar Police question is one that has baffled enforcement for ages. The GP, however, does have a plain and simple rule that you can follow religiously, without fail.

When quoting language, all commas and periods should go inside the quotation marks whether or not they appear in the original text. Other punctuation such as exclamation marks or question marks may appear outside the quotation marks to the extent they do not appear in the text being quoted. To use your example...

The Grammar Police does not know why Darren is so "dirty."

Can anyone tell the Grammar Police why Darren is so "dirty"?

... and there you have it.

Of course no rule it without exception. That said, notwithstanding the foregoing, if you are quoting from a foreign document, the periods and commas may necessarily appear on the outside of the quotation marks depending upon the jurisdiction. The United Kingdon, for instance, follows this convention. Personally, I think this approach makes more sense and provides for a greater impact on, and better flow for, the reader... Judging from his comment, this appears to be the method Jake has adopted despite being in the USA.

I hope this helps you, nena, in your plight to reach grammatic perfection. (By the way, gramatically speaking, all proper nouns should be capitalized, but I followed the stylistic capitalization of your name).

Thank you and have a nice day.

5/04/2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Dude... The Grammar Police is awesome.

Dirty D, please do exit... and never return.

5/04/2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

I think GP meant "no rule is without exception" up there.

Nice work though -- I just wanted to GP the GP for once.

5/04/2005 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home