Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Day Traditions

IMG_0522

On New Year's Day we shuffled over to Granny's to enjoy traditional Japanese New Year's Day cuisine. I really appreciate that every year Granny goes the extra mile to sprinkle a little culture into our lives. This year, each of us even had our own place setting. Here's a picture of my place setting, which says, "Ke-bi-n" there on the right in Hiragana.

IMG_0524

Granny and Gunko greeted us when we arrived and we wished them both a Happy New Year. We love you guys.

IMG_0521

There was lots of food to go around, and we had all day to eat it. I have to admit that some of the traditional Japanese New Year's Day cuisine isn't my favorite, but it's tradition and that's important... especially since eating it means we'll have a good year.

IMG_0526

Baby will be born this year, Ingrid, and I can't wait. It's really going to be the best year of our lives.

IMG_0528

After our meal, both Ingrid and I crashed for a restful nap on the couch. Hopefully this is a sign that this new year will be filled with eating and naps -- two of my favorite things to do.

IMG_0531

When we woke up, it was time to eat again. And this time, Granny was serving sukiyaki right out of the cooker. Mmmmm. Eating it reminded me of how I used to love when dad would make this for me as a kid. Give me a bowl of rice with it and I'm set.

IMG_0532

Unfortunately, Shawn was working and Aunty Kimi couldn't join us, but that didn't stop us from having a wonderful New Year's Day feast.

IMG_0535

Of course, no New Year's feast would be complete without a little dessert, and my mom had that covered. I see dad eyeing the selection from over there. I guess that no matter the year, some things never change. Here's to a great 2008!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home