Sunday, October 14, 2007

Gunko Turns 88!

IMG_0016

It's not everyday you celebrate your 88th birthday. In fact, most of us, quite frankly, won't even get there. So we decided to celebrate Gunko's 88th birthday with a feast at Granny's house. I think Gunko is telling me that hard liquor is the key to a long and prosperous life. So wise he is.

IMG_0009

Gunko looks like he's preparing himself for a tremendous feast. Good thing, because it's exactly what we were having.

IMG_0020

Granny prepared chawanmushi, which is a soup-like dish with a bunch of stuff inside, including matsutake mushrooms.

IMG_0011

Here's the finished dish. I love it. We need to have this more often!

IMG_0018

For the main course we had sushi that we rolled ourselves and Aunty Kimi's steak. Absolutely delicious!

IMG_0021

That day I learned that each day at around lunch Granny goes to feed a snack to the neighbor's dog, Koa. I love dogs so I joined her for the visit.

IMG_0023

Koa turned out to be a beautiful golden retriever, and was delighted to see Granny.

IMG_0025

After feeding Koa we all sat around and shared stories. It was mostly Granny telling us great stories about old times. I even learned about the history of her last name.

IMG_0032

Yes, dad, before you know it, we'll be celebrating your 88th birthday. Until then, Happy Birthday, Gunko! We love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home